Synthesis: Integration to Empower the Reliability Organization
BlockSim is integrated into the powerful Synthesis Platform, which offers reliability practitioners the best of both worlds: analysis tools that are optimized to fully meet the individual user's needs for a particular set of analysis methods, plus integration into a centralized repository that is shared by users throughout the organization and facilitates integration between analysis tools.
Connecting the Synthesis Applications
Your interaction with each Synthesis application will be similar to your experience with previous versions — each application continues to be a full-featured tool that has been expertly designed to meet your needs for all aspects of the analysis methodology. But now it is easier than ever to share relevant information between applications and analyses.
Specifically for BlockSim, the Synthesis Platform gives you the ability to:
- Use models from analyses performed in other Synthesis applications to set the properties for blocks in a BlockSim RBD or fault tree. When the underlying data analyses change, the analysts can choose to automatically update the relevant diagrams, if desired.
- Build RBDs or fault trees in BlockSim from system configuration and failure mode data in Xfmea/RCM++/RBI, or from failure rate predictions in Lambda Predict.
- Use BlockSim simulation diagrams to generate response data for experiment designs in DOE++.
- Work with BlockSim diagrams and RENO flowcharts together in the same analysis project, and use diagram results in flowcharts if desired. (Requires separate licenses.)
Centralized Data Storage
All Synthesis applications offer centralized data storage that allows multiple users to work cooperatively on analysis projects. You can choose which database platform will provide the back-end data storage for each Synthesis repository. Better yet, you can even enjoy the best of both worlds...
Take advantage of the simplicity of a single-user application when you're working independently on a particular analysis, but share data and analysis results with colleagues when you connect with the enterprise repository — all using the same software tool!
A Standard Repository is easy to create and maintain without any special IT infrastructure or support. This built-in relational database file format — which requires nothing extra to buy or install — can be placed on your own computer for a single-user implementation or in a network location that's accessible to multiple users.
In Version 10, we also offer a new Synthesis File Format (*.rsf10) for individuals who are working alone in a single application — it emulates the file saving behavior of a document-centered application (such as Excel or ReliaSoft Version 7).
An Enterprise Repository requires implementation of Microsoft SQL Server® or Oracle®, but it is a more robust platform that can store much more analysis information in the same database and supports access by many more simultaneous users. (Licensing, support and maintenance for SQL Server®/Oracle® are not included with Synthesis. Express versions of these database platforms are also supported. )
Single-user, multi-user or enterprise... you decide! [Learn more...]
Synthesis Enterprise Portal
If your organization chooses to implement a web-based Synthesis Enterprise Portal (SEP) for an enterprise database, the entire team – including managers and colleagues who don't have Synthesis desktop applications installed – will be able to access key analysis and project management details from any web-enabled device.
This includes personalized messages, assigned actions, key performance metrics, selected analysis reports, graphical charts and many other tools that will help to keep your reliability and maintainability projects on track.
Reliability Project Planner and Action Tracking
Formerly available only in Xfmea/RCM++/RBI, the Project Planner is now integrated into all Synthesis desktop applications (except MPC). This reliability-focused project management tool has been greatly expanded to include resource utilization tracking, dynamic timelines, at-a-glance status panels, and much more.
We have also greatly expanded the actions management and tracking capabilities for better integration with the project plan, and with the new Test Plan feature in Xfmea/RCM++/RBI.
- Record and track the allocated personnel, facilities and materials resources, and easily calculate Costs and Man Hours (both planned an actual).
- Visual indicators to highlight action status and priority, and the option to assign and track action approval.
- Flexible alerts via e-mail, SMS text message or Synthesis portal message, and the ability for any users to personally subscribe to "watch" a particular action or gate.
- For actions that are part of a project plan, the option to automatically adjust the "expected timeline" in response to delays in prior activities.
- If desired, include additional details for specific tests that need to be performed (including specifications, requirements and reports).
- A new Actions Explorer to view and manage all actions within the current project.
In addition, if you've implemented the SEP, both project planning and actions tracking features can now be accessed from any web-enabled device!
Synthesis Explorer, Categories and Filters
A host of new and improved features in Version 10 make it easier to find, filter, sort and group the wide array of analyses and resources in the Synthesis Platform. Some of the most significant enhancements include:
The new Synthesis Explorer offers enormous flexibility for reviewing all of the different analyses that are stored in the current database. You can save customized "views" that configure the grid for a particular purpose (e.g., all analyses related to a particular component, all analyses modified in the last week, etc.). You can also present the information in a wide variety of graphical dashboard charts.
Item Categories and Filters
In addition to the configurable project categories and filters that were available in prior versions, we have added flexible new item categories and filters for managing folios, diagrams, system hierarchy items and resources.
In Version 10, the Synthesis identifiers (formerly called "global identifiers") have been added for project explorer items (e.g., folios, diagrams, plots, etc.) and there is now one standard set of identifier fields for all relevant locations.
Personalized Portal for Messages and Project Status
In all Synthesis desktop applications, the My Portal panel provides quick access to messages, assigned actions and other information that may be of personal interest to you while working in the Synthesis Platform.
Now in Version 10, if your organization chooses to implement a web-based Synthesis Enterprise Portal (SEP) for an enterprise database, you can also access many of these same features from any web-enabled device.