D470A - Foundations of Effective FMEAs
Learn Failure Modes and Effects Analysis ( FMEA or FMECA )
The D470A training seminar provides an overview of the concepts and procedures for FMEA, FMECA and related analyses, with an emphasis on the use of ReliaSoft's Xfmea software for analysis, data management and reporting.
This training course presents concepts and software tools that you could use to help your organization:
- Proactively consider potential failures, prioritize issues based on risk and then initiate improvements early in development when modifications tend to have the biggest impact for the lowest cost.
- Create a searchable knowledge base of reliability-related information for your designs, which can contribute to the development of test plans, control plans, future design efforts and other activities.
- Comply with supplier or regulatory requirements while promoting analysis and data management processes that are efficient and effective, utilizing lessons learned from past analyses when applicable.
The objectives for this training course are to:
- Provide attendees with a thorough understanding and working knowledge of the basics of FMEA.
- Learn the best practice step-by-step procedures for performing FMEAs.
- Examine the key factors that contribute to successful FMEA projects and how to implement an effective FMEA process.
- Provide hands-on training in the use of ReliaSoft's Xfmea software.
Although this class will provide many opportunities for attendees to discuss their particular analysis challenges and to practice the skills required for effective analysis, this course is not intended to provide an in-depth FMEA facilitation for any particular component or product.
Introduction and Overview
- Definition and historical background.
- Examine applications and benefits.
- Importance of FMEA as Part of Design for Reliability (DFR) Strategy
- Introduce types of FMEA and published
- Design FMEA (DFMEA), Process FMEA (PFMEA), System FMEA, Subsystem FMEA, Component FMEA, FMECA, etc.
- SAE J1739, AIAG FMEA, MIL-STD-1629A, etc.
Basic FMEA Analysis Process
- How to determine the scope of the analysis
- System Configurations
- Boundary Diagrams
- Preliminary Risk Assessments
- Process Flow Diagrams
- How to assemble the appropriate Analysis Team and establish Ground Rules for the analysis
- How to gather and evaluate Data Sources
- How to identify and evaluate Functions
- How to identify and evaluate Failure Modes
- How to identify and evaluate Effects
- How to identify and evaluate Causes
- How to identify and evaluate Controls
- How to identify and evaluate Risk
- Risk Priority Numbers (RPNs)
- Other view of ratings and RPNs
- Quantitative Criticality Analysis
- Qualitative Criticality Analysis
- How to identify and evaluate Recommended Actions
- How to Distribute, Review and Update the analysis
Design Review Based on Failure Mode (DRBFM)
- Introduction to Design Review Based on Failure Mode (DRBFM)
- Focusing on changes to an existing design
- Focusing on "points of concern" to the engineers
Integration with Other Analyses
- Introduction to Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
- Concept of Special Characteristics
- Design FMEA input to Test Plan (DVP&R)
- Design FMEA input to Process FMEA
- Process Flow Diagram input to Process FMEA
- Process FMEA input to Process Control Plan
- Role of FMEA in Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM)
Class Exercise Using Xfmea
The instructor will lead the class through a simple exercise designed to introduce participants to the use of the Xfmea software for entering FMEA data.
Key Factors for Effective FMEA Projects
- Learn the most common mistakes made by FMEA practitioners and how to correct them
- Learn the FMEA quality objectives that will ensure uniformly effective results with any types of FMEAs
- How to perform FMEA audits
- Overview of the characteristics of successful FMEA facilitation
Using the Xfmea Software for Basic Analysis, Data Management and Reporting
- Organizing information in databases and projects
- Using the hierarchical, worksheet and filtered views to enter and manage your FMEA analysis information
- Data entry tools and shortcuts
- Finding and re-using information from Phrase Sets or existing analyses
- Find and replace
- Working with RPNs or Criticality Analysis
- Tracking the completion of recommended actions
- Graphical charts
- User-defined queries
- Pre-defined and custom reports
- Integration with Design Verification Plans (DVP&Rs), Control Plans and DRBFMs
Hands-on Practice with the Xfmea Software
Case Study Example #1
The instructor will lead the class through a case study example that implements the analysis skills discussed in the course.
Best Practice for a Successful FMEA Process
- Why implement an FMEA process?
- Strategic decisions to be made by management
- Resource decisions to be made by management
- Importance of management support
- Generic FMEAs and program-specific FMEAs
- Management review and FMEA quality audits
- Supplier FMEAs
- Tracking the completion of recommended actions
- Linkage to other key processes
- Integrated software support
Configuration Options and Advanced Features in Xfmea
- Creating and managing project
- Data fields captured in the analysis worksheet
- Rating scales
- Action categories, special characteristics, etc.
- Creating and managing custom templates for queries and reports
- Creating and managing phrase sets
- Creating and managing user accounts
- Access levels
- Restricting access to projects based on access level
Change Log for revision control
- Activating the change log
- History of changes
- Electronic approval tracking
Case Study Example #2
The instructor will lead the class through a second case study example that implements the analysis skills discussed in the course.